From the OC Politics Blog
Martin Wisckol, the OC Register’s elder political reporter, “caught up” with washed-up, former Assemblyman, former Supervisor and former Fullerton Councilman Chris Norby today. It’s outside the paywall here: Chris Norby ‘won’t rule out’ run in 2014.
As we discussed November last, “we wonder if Norby’s ever had a job as an adult that wasn’t on a government payroll.” He’s got quite a personal and political resume:
- Allegations of domestic violence involving his fourth wife per a Register story quoting Fullerton Police Sgt. Andrew Goodrich
- Investigated, but cleared for using campaign funds for a hotel stay while “researching homelessness” in 2007
- Found sleeping one off at the Old County Courthouse in Santa Ana while apparently homeless himself
- Questioned by his hometown Blog for a campaign endorsement of a dirty cop
- Couldn’t get the endorsement of his disgraced Assembly predecessor, Mike Duvall, when he ran for Clerk-Recorder in 2009, but he did get them from John Lewis and Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido, a Democrat
- Sexual harassment charges in 2003, later settled
Norby often been praised for his Conservative positions and stance for property rights. But his “eccentric” behavior (as Wisckol described it) no doubt contributed to his “running an inept, poorly funded campaign (he was beaten by a rookie campaign manager) in 2012″.
This has-been “didn’t take his latest Democrat opponent seriously and got beaten for an important Assembly seat that will be hell for the GOP to recapture. He has a questionable reputation, [and] can be erratic and unstable” as we said in November. Being on his fourth marriage likely didn’t help either as Republicans aren’t as understanding about such personal matters as their Democrat competition seems to be.
- Everybody knows Phil
While County Supervisor, Norby appointed Phil Tsunoda, a Democrat now infesting the Aliso Viejo City Council, as his Chief of Staff . Since he’s so adept at cronyism, Tsunoda, like Norby’s brother, has slimed his way through a variety of well-paid County staff positions at Public Works and the Clerk-Recorder. He is now with CalOptima.
It’s not too early to take the temperature in AD65. Click here to vote in our OC Politics blog poll.
Click here to read the rest of this article.