FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18CF2485
Date: September 4, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A Fullerton Police sergeant was charged today with filing a false report while on duty.
Defendant: Rodger Jeffrey Corbett, 45, Corona
Charged on Sept. 4, 2018 with the following felony count:
- False report filed by peace officer
- Three years in state prison
Arraignment on Sept. 18, 2018, 8:30 a.m. at Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the charged incident, Corbett was a sergeant for the Fullerton Police Department (FPD)
- At approximately 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 9, 2016, FPD officers were dispatched to a single car traffic accident.
- Upon arrival, FPD officers found then Fullerton City Manager Joseph Felz attempting to drive his disabled vehicle away from the scene of the accident. They also noted objective symptoms of intoxication when they made contact with Felz.
- Because of Felz’s position as Fullerton City Manager, Corbett was called to handle the investigation to determine whether Felz was driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Corbett is accused of conducting a cursory examination of Felz and writing in his police report that Felz was not under the influence of alcohol. Corbett is further accused of driving Felz home.
- After responding to the scene, Corbett is accused of knowingly documenting false information regarding Felz’s sobriety in a police report.
- On March 3, 2017, charges were filed against Felz for driving under the influence of alcohol and hit and run with property damage.
- On Dec. 19, 2017, Joseph Felz pleaded guilty to misdemeanor conduct and admitted to driving under the influence of alcohol the night of the traffic accident.
- Since Nov. 10, 2016, the Orange County District Attorney (OCDA) has been investigating the conduct of Corbett and all other involved FPD peace officers in connection with this incident, including impaneling and investigative Grand Jury hearing to gather evidence. The OCDA opted to file a complaint without requesting the grand jury to indict the defendant.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Brett Brian, Special Prosecutions Unit.
Penal Code Section 118.1
Every peace officer who files any report with the agency which employs him or her regarding the commission of any crime or any investigation of any crime, if he or she knowingly and intentionally makes any statement regarding any material matter in the report which the officer knows to be false, whether or not the statement is certified or otherwise expressly reported as true, is guilty of filing a false report.