FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact: Jess Block, 909-706-8525, JessBlockPR@gmail.com
FULLERTON, CA- To support autism charities and special education 3,000 attendees are expected at Bourbon Street Bar and Grill’s 5th annual FREE family carnival benefit, ‘Mardi Gras for Autism’ featuring Aquarium of the Pacific’s mobile aquarium, Fullerton High School Circus Club, A.skate all-ability skateboarding demonstrations and more, to be held outside Bourbon Street Bar and Grill in the adjacent Fullerton Train Depot parking lot located at 110 E. Commonwealth Ave. in Fullerton on Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Says Larry Houser, the co-owner of Bourbon Street Bar and Grill and founder of Fullerton Cares, “The way we’ve designed Mardi Gras for Autism, families can come out and enjoy a good time together with their children of all abilities.” Houser became involved with autism after his son Boyd, now age 5, was diagnosed with autism.
The family-friendly, all abilities, free event is designed to encourage families to enjoy the fun of Mardi Gras while raising money for Fullerton special education programs, featuring many activities appropriate for children of all ages and abilities, including:
- Aquarium of the Pacific — “Aquarium on Wheels” gives kids an up-close opportunity to see and touch sharks, sea stars, sea cucumbers, and anemones.
- Medieval Times — The Knights and Kings will be performing mini-shows throught the day.
- A.skate — A.skate will be conducting skate demos encouraging the social interaction of children with autism through skateboarding.
- Eye Force One – Mobile Vision Van providing children’s eye exams in the community thanks to Marshall B. Ketchum University
- Game Trucks – Two moble video game theater featuring the newest multi-player video games in a comfortable, air-conditioned mobile living room setting.
- Magic by David Bonfidini — An experience incorporating skills of street magic, sleight of hand, and improvisation into an interactive audience experience.
- Autism Live — The interactive webshow provides support, resources, information, facts, entertainment and inspiration to all parents, teachers and practitioners working with children on the Autism Spectrum.
- Police Exhibit — Featuring swat cars and other unique police response units for attending children to board, explore and enjoy.
- Fire Exhibit – Firemen will display vintage and modern firetrucks while grilling hot dogs.
- The Dixiedelics — A fixture in the Downtown Fullerton music scene, the Dixiedelics are the featured musical guest of Mardi Gras for Autism.
- Karaoke hosted by Jake Popoff — Popoff will be hosting a karaoke singalong with the support of his dad and other musicians.
- CF Dance Academy — CF Dance Academy will feature classical and modern dance routines with children of all abilities who attend CF classes, including classes hosted by CF specifically designed for children with special needs.
- Fullerton High School Circus Club – A roving exhibit throughout the event, circus club performers entertain with bright costumes, juggling, and circus acts
- Bounce House Zone — Seven inflatable including slides and bounce houses
- Face painting — Over 20 facepainters for this popular attraction by Gymboree
- Bourbon Street — The presenting sponsor of the fifth annual Mardi Gras for Autism, Bourbon Street has a close connection with not only the City of Fullerton, but also those directly affected by autism.
- Fullerton Cares — Founded in order to raise money, awareness, and acceptance of students with Autism within the Fullerton community, Fullerton Cares works tirelessly to promote and fund programs for students with autism within the Fullerton School District.
Public information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 714-213-8831.
ABOUT MARDI GRAS FOR AUTISM: ‘Mardi Gras for Autism’ festival raises funds benefitting the Fullerton School District’s autism programs. In 2012, the event raised over $11,000 for autism. http://mardigrasforautism.com/ https://www.facebook.com/mardigras.forautism?fref=ts Video: http://youtu.be/udmycp_pXd4
ABOUT FULLERTON CARES: Awareness, acceptance and action are the pillars of Fullerton Cares, which spreads autism awareness throughout North Orange County and was founded by Lawrence Houser, after being inspired by his son, Boyd, with autism. Raising funds for autism charities and programs in Fullerton schools through organized events, Fullerton Cares was founded in 2010 and has raised over $53,000 for autism initiatives. http://fullertoncares.com/ https://www.facebook.com/FullertonCaresAutismFoundation
ABOUT BOURBON STREET: Established in 2007, Bourbon Street offers California Cajun cuisine in the heart of historic downtown Fullerton with a menu made entirely from scratch featuring farm fresh, locally sourced ingredients. In addition to a world-class selection of slow-aged bourbons and whiskies, Bourbon Street features a wide array of bottled and draught beer, as well as a comprehensive wine list. Bourbon Street is located at 110 E. Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832 with 800 adjacent parking stalls. Reservations can be made at 714-626-0050. http://bourbonstreetfullerton.com
ABOUT AUTISM: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), autism now affects about 1 in every 88 American children, including 1 in 54 boys. Autism is a complex condition that affects a person’s ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. http://www.autismspeaks.org.